Sunday, March 14, 2010

3. A review of the 4th week

For Thursday class we read two texts which are called “Hailing while black” and “Black men and public space”. These two texts are belonging to two African-American writers who have different political views. Shelby Steele is the writer of the first text and he supports the conservative idea and Brent Staples who supports the liberalism is the writer of the second text. Although their views were different they were talking about the stereotypes for the African-Americans in United States. In these texts we can see the social conditions of ‘black’ men. Also in the “Black men and the public space” Staples gave point to the conditions of the women in the public which is as worse as ‘THEM’.

And also for this class Sonja prepared a game for us which is to make to review for these texts and the vocabulary of the “Race Identity” topic. I think that this was a really good idea because it helped me to learn better by enjoying. Plus, as we played this game with a group it helped us to recognize our class mates better. I hope to play more games in class =))

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for your feedback and I'm happy you found the review a success! I hope we will get a chance to do another one..

    What about your reactions to the two texts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i want to say that melek made good points about the texts, but i didnt understand what u mean bye 'THEM'.
    so i would be delighteful if you can enlighten me:D
    tanx

    ReplyDelete
  3. first of all thanks for your comment ezgi. Secondly, of course I would like to enlighten you=))By saying 'THEM' I mentioned the African Americans, means the black people. I don't know how to say it better, but I think that Staples was right, in the social life the conditions of the women and also the black people are all not really good.

    ReplyDelete